If we wish to keep our home clean then we must find out ways and means to dispose the garbage which we generate on a daily basis. To make this a reality we must have the best garbage disposals available with us. We must buy a device which offers the best value for money.
It must be long-lasting convenient to use and must offer as many offer trouble-free services for a number of years. Since there is money involved, it must dispose garbage efficiently and should not leave behind messy substances all around. It also must integrate well with dishwashers which produce quite a bit of garbage and waste materials.
We will in this article try and understand garbage removal and disposal from the right perspective and also look at a few garbage disposal devices from various attributes and angles.
Why This Article
Though garbage disposal is a vital subject, lack of quality information is often a big problem.
Garbage disposal plays a big role in efficient removal of garbage with no messy kitchens.
With constraints on time, we believe that choosing a suitable garbage disposal device will help us to come out with solutions which could help remove garbage speedily and efficiently.
We hope the information over the next few paragraphs will give an insight into the things to be kept in mind when going in for garbage disposal devices.
How To Find The Right Garbage Disposal Method
Please keep these points in mind:
Be sure about the size and capacity of the garbage disposals which you plan to buy. It should not be either too big or too small.
Have a reasonably clear idea about the kind of garbage that your home will be generating on a daily basis. This will help you to choose the right device.
The garbage disposals which you plan should have the feature to easily segregate biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste efficiently.
It must be easy to use and ergonomically designed. This can save space and look good
It should have the best of garbage grinding techniques and methods.
Types Of Garbage Disposer
One cannot just buy the first garbage disposer which catches our attention. There are some important attributes to be kept in mind when you choose the right solution. Here are a few things to be kept in mind:
Horsepower: The first important attribute to be kept in mind is the horsepower of the garbage disposer. It should be strong enough to suck the garbage efficiently and without creating messy leakages all around.
Continuous Feed: This is a very important attribute when choosing the best garbage disposal device. The devices should be able to automatically and continuously pick up garbage and there should be almost zero manual intervention.
Right Grind Stages: Though garbage disposal machines come in different grind stages, it would always be better to look for machines which have three different stages, viz. stage 1 to stage 3. The better the grinding the easier the disposal will be. It also will be efficient and free from messy manual interventions.
Noise And Continuous Vs Batch Feed: Finally we should look at a device which does not make too much of a noise. We should also choose between continuous and batch feed machines depending on specific needs and requirements.
A Look At A Few Models Of Garbage Disposal Machines
InSinkErator Badger 5, 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer
This is a popular garbage disposer from the house of InSinkErator. It comes with a number of interesting and exciting features and here are a few of them:
It works on 1/2 horsepower induction motor with dura-drive feature.
It also has a grind chamber of 26 oz.
Made from high quality galvanized steel grind system.
Measure 7 inches x 7 inches x 13 inchesering the quality of the material which has been used.
Works on 120 volts AC power.
Comes with a flow rate of 30 CFM.
Also comes with a number of components such as quick lock sink mount, tailpipe, stopper, tailpipe gasket, 1/2 hp food waste disposer, installation instruction and incinkerator badger and much more.
It is made in USA to suit specific needs and requirements of the local customers.
- Comes from the house of InSinkErator who carry with them 75 years of experience.
- Reliability, affordability and dependability are the three hallmarks of this particular model of garbage disposal machine.
- It comes with the best of grind technology which ensures that waste food gets grinned easily.
- Food waste is easily liquefied and gets discharged into the sewage system.
- Easy installation is one more reason why nine out of ten professionals choose this model.
- It offers unique food waste recycling option.
- They also help in reducing greenhouse emissions.
- Comes with a number of smart accessories and attachments.
- A Few people have complained that after around two to three years of use, stress cracks were seen in the housing. This led to leaking of the unit.
How To Keep In The Best Of Condition
It is always better to use cold water while operating the disposer. Further you must avoid pouring fatty or greasy substances in the drains or even the disposer. Regular grinding of citrus fruit peels will help keep the grinder in good shape and fresh.
Not much of technical issues have been reported except for the fact that the housing material in a few cases tends to break and leak.
It comes with an in-home 2 year limited warranty. This covers both parts and labor.
InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP Household Garbage Disposer
It is manufactured in the house of InSinkErator and has a number of interesting features. It has the best of SoundSeal Technology which goes a long way in offering performance that is superb but without the hassle of a sound-filled machine. It also has a number of other features a few of which are mentioned below:
It has a unique multigrind technology having three grind stages.
The 40 Oz stainless grind chamber is also worth mentioning.
It works on a 1 horsepower motor with dual-drive induction feature.
The power cord has to be paid for separately and is not a part of the machine.
It comes with a dimension of 13 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches.
Pros And Cons Of This Product
- It has a number of advantages and here are a few of them.
- It has easy to install features and all that you have to do is to twist off the old disposer and twist on the new one.
- It hardly makes any noise and this is because of the state of the art technology that it comes with.
- You need not worry about the kind of foods which you put inside the device.
- According to the best garbage disposal review articles, it is one of the few machines which allow perfect recycling of food waste.
- It comes from a manufacturer that has more than 75 years of experience in this line of business.
- Competitively priced, it offers the best value for money to its customers.
- It also comes with a few shortcomings though they are few and far between. Installation could be a problem for a few because of the weight of the flange.
How To Keep It In Good Condition
Though it is a quality garbage disposal machine one should not put in large quantities of food which could hamper its performance. Hot water should not be used while operating the machine.
It runs on 1 HP motor and needs 120 Volts of AC power to run the motors. The body is made from stainless steel which is rust proof.
It comes with 7-year warranty.
Best Garbage Disposal : Waste King Legend Series 1/2-Horsepower Continuous-Feed Garbage Disposal – (L-2600)
This is from the house of Waste King and it comes with a number of features. These include:
Comes with 1 horsepower motor having 2800 rpm.
Made from high quality stainless steel and the best of grinding components.
It is unique because it does not make too much of a noise while breaking up garbage and grinding it.
It comes with the easy mount system and should not take too much of time to get it going once taken out from the newly packed boxes.
It comes with a number of accessories which include power cords, splash guard which is removable and garbage disposer.
Weighs around 14.7 pounds and has a dimension of 9 inches x 9 inches x 16.2 inches.
Works on 115 Volts electricity which can generate 1.0 horsepower.
Pros And Cons Of The Garbage Disposal
- It has a number of specific advantages and benefits.
- To begin with it has perhaps one of the most powerful grinding facilities.
- Compared to many brands it offers more grind power per pound.
- The feeds have been intelligently designed making it mess free and jam free.
- The grinding components are so made that they reduce noise and vibration. The grinding is also rust free
- It works with septic tanks and therefore is easy to install. It comes with the best of accessories and tools and also has a user-friendly installation manual.
- It is competitively priced.
- It has a number of positive reviews from customers.
- Though there are not any major issues with the machine, quite a few customers have expressed displeasure at the kind of after sales services.
- In fact a handful of them have mentioned that the service personnel are rude when they are contacted for help. This is a point which must be kept in mind if you planning to choose this model as the best garbage disposal alternative.
How To Keep It In Good Condition
Some basic care is all that is required to ensure that this brand of garbage disposal machine works well. It would be always advisable to go in for lukewarm water. Further, it may not be advisable to run the machine continuously and instead give small breaks.
Made from high quality steel casing, it is a machine which runs on 120 volts of AC electricity. It generates 1.0 horsepower.
The rust free grinding components have a lifetime warranty.
InSinkErator CRD-00 Power Cord Kit
Having a quality garbage disposal machine is fine, but it also should come with the right accessories. Hence for those who are looking at the right power connection, opting for InSinkErator CRD-00 power cord kit would be a good choice. Here are a few important features which are worth mentioning:
Comes with a three feet UL listed cord strain. It is available with relief clamp, installations instructions and wire connectors.
Can be plugged directly into any standard wall outlet.
It is of high quality and meets the stipulations and conditions of Underwriter Laboratories Inc.
It also adheres to SPT-3 category as far as moisture resistance and insulation thickness is concerned.
It comes with accessories such as electrical connection to motor and also has 2 wire nuts.
Measures 7.1 inches x 3.1 inches and 1.1 inches and weighs just 4 ounces.
Comes in a pack of one.
It is black in color.
Pros and Cons Of This Product
- Made from high quality materials, it is safe and totally shock proof.
- It is superbly insulated and is also known offering best value for money because of extended durability.
- It is easy to use and once the garbage disposer is installed, the cord can be directly connected to a suitable electric outlet.
- The UL Listed cord, stain relief clamp and quality wire connectors are also worth mentioning.
- It has the best quality insulation thickness and the best of moisture resistance features.
- It meets National Electrical Code Standards.
- Nothing too much negative about the cord, but there are a few customers who believe that the wire-nuts to be very small in size. It would have received 5 star rating or 10/10 but for this small problem. This can easily be corrected by the manufacturers.
How To Maintain
It requires very little maintenance. It might get soiled and dirty with repeated use. It can be cleaned using a wet cloth. It should not be washed under flowing water and should be kept away from too much of heat.
It is made from high quality material which meets various standards including the ones set by Underwriter Laboratories Inc.
InSinkErator DWC-00 Dishwasher Connector Kit
Those on the lookout for suitable food disposer to dishwasher kit would certainly find this model number DWC-00 from InSinkErator to be of great use. It comes with a host of customer friendly features and a few of them are as follows:
Made from quality plastic hose.
It is versatile and can easily fit into 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch hose connections.
It comes with a number of accessories and these include clamp that is screw type. This helps in easy disposer connection.
Further it also has 3 pressure clamps which help it connect to the dishwasher properly.
Very light weight, it weighs only 3.2 ounces.
It comes with an overall dimension of 2 inches x 2 inches x 3.6 inches.
The inside diameter is 1 inch from one side to the other.
The outside diameter in the largest area is 1 ¼ inches.
It can fit into a standard water line.
Coming from the house of InSinkErator there is no doubt that it has a number of advantages which are quite obvious and indisputable. Here are a few of them:
Pros and Cons Of This Product
- Made from the best quality plastic material.
- It is rust proof and corrosion proof.
- The screw type clamps are also made from quality materials which have anti-corrosion coating on it.
- It is very easy to install and even those who do not possess much of a technical knowledge can easily do it.
- It is water tight and though it may not look the best in appearance, it works wonderfully well and offers the best value for money.
- It can be bought separately as an accessory.
- It has nothing negative as far as the overall quality and utility is concerned. However, some customers have said that a hacksaw might be needed to fix it.
How To Maintain
It is easy to maintain and regular washing with cold water and a soft detergent is all that would be needed.
There is nothing much of significance.
It does not come with any warranty.
InSinkErator HWT-F1000S Hot Water Tank and Filtration System
If you are on the lookout for a suitable filtration system and water tank, then this Model no. HWT-F10002 from InSinkErator is certainly an option worth looking at. It has a number of exciting features, a few of which are being mentioned hereunder:
The hot water stainless tank is capable of dispending 200-degree Fahrenheit boiling water almost instantly.
Easy installation is possible because of dry start protection and toll free tank connections.
It comes with unique F-1000S filtration system.
Temperature control is adjustable.
Can provide 60 cups of boiling water each hour.
It is suitable for use with all water dispensers from the house of InSinkErator.
Weighs 7.3 pounds and has a dimension of 6.8 inches x 6.2 inches x 11 inches.
It works on 115 volts of power and generates wattage of 750.
It comes with a power cord which can be connected to a power outlet.
Pros and Cons Of This Product
- It is a multipurpose machine which can be used for cleaning, drinking and also nurturing.
- The hot water tank and the technologically advanced filtration system ensure that the machine dispenses fresh and hot water (60 cups per hour).
- It comes with special power technology which can help save around 80% of power.
- Comes with a 3 year warranty for the tank and 1 year warranty as far as the filtration system is concerned
- The filtration system ensures tasty and absolutely clean drinking water. There is a 75 year filtration and heating experience behind this.
- Quite light weight and weighs just 7.3 pounds.
- Ergonomically designed and can be installed in small sized kitchens too.
- There are some instances where there is a mismatch as far as the hose which is a part of the machine.
How To Maintain
The filtering and heating machine does not require too much of maintenance. However, it is important to clean the water tank regularly to prevent build up of unwanted substances.
It works on 750 watts and 115 volts of power. It comes with an attractive tan color outer. It weighs 7.3 pounds.
It comes with a 3 year warranty for the water tank and one year warranty for the water filter.
When buying the best garbage disposal machine here are a few important aspects to be kept in mind.
The first and foremost point is to check with the local regulations. Many local authorities do not allow garbage disposal machines and therefore you should not be on the wrong side of the law. Hence you must do your homework properly and be sure that your investment on these garbage disposals do not go in vain.
You also must plan the plumbing work in advance and be sure that it would be able to handle the waste products generated by the garbage disposals. This does take some time and you must get started early in the day. There also is the need to be sure that you have an electrical connection under the sink. This might call for some realignment of your electrical wiring.
The size of the motor is also important and you must spend some time looking at it from close quarters. There are many garbage disposals which come 1/3 horse power which might be sufficient for quality disposal of garbage. Ideally you must be on the lookout for a machine which has 1/2 horsepower. As the size of your home increases you certainly would need the same over a period of time.
It would always be advisable to look for a garbage disposal with stainless steel blades. They not only last longer but they are sharper and harder. They are efficient and offer better value for money at all points of time.
When buying garbage disposal you also must pay attention to the dishwasher attachment. This will attach to the dishwasher and the garbage will flow in from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal machine. You must choose an attachment which is easy to hook up and easy to remove and clean.
As far as the garbage disposals are concerned, after looking at the various features and functionalities there are reasons to believe that Waste Kind L-8000 model is the best. This is because of various features including the best of looks, quality motor, low noise levels and different types of grinding options. It is one of the few such devices which come with life time warranty and the grinding components are completely rust free. In fine, it certainly offers the best value for money at all points of time. The feeds are totally jam free and mess free. Installation is also extremely easy and it can be directly connected to septic tanks. There are reasons to believe that it is a machine which will certainly offer customers the best value for money.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Question)
Why is quality of grinding so important?
The main purpose of buying a garbage disposal device is to ensure that it grinds the garbage that is generated regularly. It should ideally have three stage of grinding.
What should be the motor capacity?
Though the motors are available in different capacities, ideally any quality motor which is able to generated 1 horsepower it quite okay.
What else to look for?
When buying garbage disposals, you must look for machines which are power efficient. There are many brands and models in the market which could help you to save 80% on power cost.
What are the extra features one should look for?
While we often spend time looking up the various specifications and functionalities of the garbage disposal machine, there are some minor points which we need to take into account. We must pay attention to the noise levels. Opting for sound baffles will help a lot in lowering sound decibel level. A quite machine is always better. We should also try and ensure that that there is a manual reset button.
There are other small things like corrosion protection shield and other such features which must be given the attention they deserve.
Finally you also would do well to go in for an anti-splash baffle. This will help in keeping the sink much cleaner.
Take Professional Help To Install
Though most of the garbage disposal machines are supposed to be user friendly when it comes to installation, as a prudent customer it would always be advisable to take professional help. This is because they will be the best resource for identifying the right place where the device can be installed. Further they also will check the plumbing and other such requirements.
There could be many who might advocate DIY techniques when it comes to installing garbage disposals. However, it is not as easy as it is made out to be and fixing it wrongly could create more problems than solutions. It also could damage the costly new garbage disposals. So, as a customer taking the help of these professionals could help remove these risks and anxious moments.